March 5, 2008

Neighbors

So we have lived in our new house for 18 days now and still have not met any of our neighbors or rather I should say adult neighbors (Except for the family that lives a couple houses down that we already knew from the ward). True it is partially our fault since we could go around and introduce ourselves but after meeting some of their strange children I'm not so sure if I want to meet them...... First we start with children boy and girl from across the street, probably around 7 and 9. Before we "moved in" I was over here moving little things in and cleaning the place up a little. Lance and Rance (a guy he works with) were moving a computer desk in. This boy from across the street starts talking to Rance about his electronic game thingy (I'm so out of the loop on kids games!) and who knows what else as it's very hard to understand what the poor kid is saying. Anywho, the kid proceeds to walk up to our front door peeked inside, invited himself in. and plops down on our living room floor playing his game. We're walking back and forth and he pays us no mind, like it's no big deal that he's playing in a strangers living room. I asked him if his mother knew were he was at and he assured me she did (yea, right!). So I would look out our front room window once in a while to make sure there wasn't a frantic mother running about, sadly I never saw her. His big sister however decided to come looking for him only to ask me if she could play with him. Like she needs my permission to play with her brother?! I talked to them a little but like previously said had a hard time understanding them and they seemed content enough sitting on our floor with there games, oh yes the sister had a pink electronic thingy that had a dog on it which see was telling me she was trying to keep alive. I told them I was going to vacuum and they seemed not to mind. When I got to where they were sitting they got up and moved into the bathroom, still playing their games. Eventually I heard the front door close when I was vacuuming one of the bedrooms. We haven't heard from them again since that interesting day and only see them occasionally out in front of their house. Now, on to the two girls from next door. Lance was the first to meet them. Shortly after we moved in Lance brought in a letter for us saying it had accidentally been delivered to neighbors. For a short moment I thought, yea he met one of our neighbors but no, they had sent their daughter over to the house with the new strangers to deliver the mail. We've seen them on a few other occasions as the girls like sitting up in the tree in the front of their house making lots of noise which I don't always appreciate seeing as I work nights. One afternoon after I was getting up Lance got home. The girls had been out front and saw Ace and asked if they could pet him. So they made friends with our dog. Lance had stuff to do and didn't want to leave him out front so Ace went to the backyard and Lance let the girls play with him in the backyard. They ran into their house to get shoes....so who knows if their parents knew were they were at. Anyways, we were both sitting in the kitchen and here this thudding out back and our house was shaking. What in the world?! So I look out the window and only can see their shadows which appear to be climbing from our shed onto the roof of our house. Again, what in the world?!! So lance tells them to get off because we don't want them to fall and get hurt (and get sued by their parents and who knows what else). They claimed that a previous owner let them do it all the time. Maybe it's just us but why in the world would they think it was alright to run around on somebody else's roof, especially since you don't know them?! And why would you consider it strange that we don't want you walking on our roof?! And what sort of parents let there kids wander over to someones house whom they don't know and let them walk on the roof? Do they walk on their own roof? I haven't seen it yet so I have a hard time believing they think it's a normal safe thing to do! We haven't seen them since the incidence... So perhaps now I may ask the question, does anyone else see why I am a bit weary to meet these neighbors?! Could they possible be anything like their crazy kids?! Or worse meet us and think we're a good place to ship their kids off to play since they don't appear to want to take care of them much. All in all I guess the moral of my long story is, be weary of talking to neighbor kids....you never know what they might do!

6 comments:

Brian Adair Fam said...

I know what you mean about "strange" neighbor kids. We had some in Ohio. The little girl was constantly wanting to play with Paige (even though she was 10 or 11) and would just invite herself in. I ended up making a rule that if the front door was open (with the screen door closed) she could come play with Paige, but if they were both closed, it would have to happen another day. Worked pretty well. Good luck with yours!

Heather said...

Thanks for letting me know about your blog! How do you do the cool circle border? Our blog is boring compared to yours! Just think, at least your neighbors children are friendly! And Ace is cute!

Amy said...

odd odd odd neighbor kids. i'm right with you- i wouldn't want to meet the parents. hopefully they are more normal then their little ones.

ann said...

Glad you let us know abt your blog. Your "stories" are cute and I can believe every word. Some parents are getting more strict with wanting to know where their children are at all times; however, there are a few still that don't seem to care...too bad.

We are looking forward to seeing you guys at the temple on Saturday!

Tammy said...

Neighbor can be a challege. When we lived in aour apartmetn I had to keep our door lock at all time or the neighbor kids would just walk in and help themselves to whatever they saw. Crazy how there was no worry or supervision. We have been in our new house for about a two months now. So far everyone seems pretty normal. WE have meet a couple of them. One gave us all the dirt! Funny how people are! I am glad that I found your blog! I hope you visit ours too. cjourmiracle.blogpsot.com I love your pciture at the top. Love both of you!!

♥ kimberly said...

Congratulations on the new house! That's so exciting. You've got more stories about neightbors thatn we have; we've only got 4 people on our street and have only met them at church. Thanks for letting me know about your blog. It's good to hear from you again!